Sunday, December 5, 2021

Mini quilt swap stories - the secret color version

Back with another early 2021 finish to share here, the 'Happy Dancing HSTs' mini!


I participated in the 
#tqs_secretcolourquiltswap2021 hosted by @tinyquiltswaps back in the spring. This was a fun swap challenge in that we had to make a mini quilt featuring half square triangles and the favorite color our partner had posted in their mosaics. This came with a twist, all photos we posted of our progress had to be in black & white!


My partner wanted teal and I was inspired by one of the HST designs in her mosaic. So i math-ed out this design with the squares finishing at 2" and set about pulling fabric from my stash! As I also love teal - is was not too hard to pull fabric. :) 


Making & trimming all these HSTs took some time as I love the scrappy look, and it was fun to arrange and see how it would start to come together. The pop of orange added some lively movement as well against the low volume background.

For quilting, I wanted something with curves to soften the angular lines of the design. There were a lot of quilts hanging in exhibits at work finished with Baptist Fan quilting and it was a design I'd always wanted to try so I did! It required figuring out how far apart the lines in the fan needed to be, and then marking the entire quilt with the design. Thank goodness for a light box and my trusty Dritz Mark-B-Gone marking tool!


Once it was entirely marked, it was easy to free motion quilt all of the fan lines and I absolutely love how it turned out and am definitely adding this design into my pocket for use in the future. Of course there's a bee stitched it!


Well, we swapped in April and my partner really enjoyed the quilt so that's always great to see. One of the extras I sent was a coordinated mug rug.




Here's what I received in return which I also love! It fits really well with a couple other quilts on my mini wall and a great scrappy, improv HST look.



No comments:

Post a Comment