Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Happy Spring

Quite a bit has happened since last we met dear readers.  
I had another group of Girl Scouts in to make fabric cupcakes & pennant banners to celebrate the 100th anniversary.  It was one of those events where you had enough volunteers, less kids than planned and everyone was finished early.  It almost seems too easy when that happens, since it's usually fairly chaotic, but it was fun!  The fabric cupcakes debuted at Kidz Day last summer, and were a hit!, so I'm hoping to find something equally as fun & stunning for this year.


Then I dithered for a couple days about signing up for my 2nd 5K race before finally walking over to drop off my registration an hour before the deadline.  The symphony was hosting their first Beat Beethoven 5K run; running the race to the sound of Beethoven's 5th symphony and finishing before the music stopped - thus, beating Beethoven.  It sounded like a fun premise for a race and I duly set my alarm, set out the running shoes & gatorade and went to sleep early on Friday night.  
On the downbeat of the PSO conductor, we all started off to the sounds of 'da da da daaaaaa'.  Sadly, we couldn't hear the music all the way through the park.  However, those who beat Beethoven were given a free ticket to the concert that night (to hear the 5th performed) and that was certainly motivating during the 2nd lap.  My time was 32:34 - and I finished 125th out of 240 runners.  wow!


I beat ol' Beethoven & even managed to snag a 2nd ticket that someone else didn't want. 
So N & I went to the Symphony which was wonderful!  I've never heard the 5th live before and it was thrilling to be able to see the musicians playing such a well known piece.  Plus, the rest of the piece was just as stunning and I loved the 2nd movement - so beautiful.  


Sunday I pieced my Christmas blocks into a quilt top - such a quick quilt to put together.  I used the pattern Sweet Pea from Camille Roskelley's book Simplify.  I used a layer cake instead of a charm pack to make it larger in size. Now I can decide on a border and plan out quilting it.  For now, it looks like I'll have this one complete before we start thinking about winter again!
I also received my swap blocks back in the mail from the Japanese X & + swap - such lovely blocks! I'll be making more of these and hopefully swapping more later in the year so I can make a wall quilt out of them.


Other news: my birthday is a week away! :D   I'm planning what to do during the day to celebrate - fabric shopping will be a definite!  I took the day off from work as I am a believer in not working on your birthday.  It makes it much more fun & exciting to have a day off all for you & what you want to do.  There was a mystery package waiting for me at my door today & I am under strict instructions to not open anything until my actual birthday.  sigh.  It will sit and taunt me from the chair all week long I just know it!  Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the nice weather and have eaten lunch outside by the river this week.  wonderful.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment