H is having a girl and she shared the colors chosen for the nursery: pink, aqua/teal, yellow & grey. A couple of us coordinated details and design and we set up materials to have each staff member make a block for the quilt.
We told everyone to pick 2 of the 4 colors and they had a choice of either a wonky star or wonky shoo fly block so there wouldn't need to be any matching (or chopping) of points. Blocks are 9" finished, so the quilt is 36"x36" in size.
Originally I tried quilting with a variegated thread but Gilbert (my machine) was really unhappy with that, so I ripped out those stitches and switched to my trusty Aurifil which worked beautifully.
I quilted it with a free-motion loopy design that includes some hidden butterflies, flowers and a bee.
|you can see the bee in the right-center pink square!|
We managed to keep it a secret over the last month (no small feat with a staff of 15-20) but H was happily surprised this week when we gifted it to her! She said it's already draped over the crib so I know it'll be well loved. :D
Fiber of all Sorts : my October finish for ALYOF was quilting the HQ project
On The Windyside : on my fourth quarter list for the Finish-Along 2015
CrazyMomQuilts : Finish it up Friday link up
|quilt back! I used some leftover squares to add interest around the label|