Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pantone Quilt Reveal!

Today I'm unveiling my Pantone Color of the Year Quilt top and linking up with On The Windy Side.
2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge: Radiant Orchid
This quilt idea was sketched out while at the airport waiting on a delayed flight earlier this year.  I knew I wanted to go bold with the color choice and definitely managed to do that. ;)  I used some Kona Violet, which was close to Radiant Orchid, and Kona Chartreuse for the background.  The other solids are also Kona, though I don't know what colors, and a couple purple prints as well.  All the fabric can from my stash too!



I took some inspiration from the curved blocks I've made before and from all the Retro Flower and similar designs from around the web.  I wanted it to seem as though the flower is on the right and petals are being blown by the wind across the quilt.

To achieve this look from my original sketches, I had to figure out all of the math.  Really, that means I had an idea of what to cut and how much, but I also made it up as I went along.  I really like how it turned out and had fun working with the color of the year for this challenge.

::Quilt Stats::
Design: all mine!

Fabrics: Kona Violet, Kona Chartreuse, Kona purples and purple prints - all from stash

Size: 33.5" x 37"

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is such a bold quilt, it's beautiful! I love the petals scattering into the wind, it gives your quilt a lot of great movement. Are you thinking of quilting "wind" into the background? Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool design - it definitely gave me the vibe of something blowing apart! Great bold colour choices as well!

    ReplyDelete