Sunday, July 7, 2013

back against the wall

In which I recap my Quarter 2 Finish A Long progress and link-up a last minute finish.  My goal setting post found here seemed a tad ambitious due to the major events of Quilt Week and Quilt Camp.  I surprised myself a bit in that I completed 2.5 of my 3 goals.  I know only 2 will count but am super excited!  [the .5 is that I have the 3rd goal ready to baste]

Stepping Stones, my first finished project link-up (#22) post can be read back here.
Stepping Stones detail
Today I'm sharing my 2nd finish: this 4.5 year lingering quilt top has been turned into a finished wall quilt.  Here it is on the wall of my entryway - it's so happy!

This top came about from the 1st winter retreat Momm & I planned 4.5 years ago.  We played a right, left, center dice game with batik fabric strips and I ended up winning the equivalent of a jelly roll!  Afterwards, I turned it into a top using the Athena Puzzle pattern and showed off the finished top at the 2nd retreat.  Each year the winner of our game has continued to turn their prize into a finished quilt.  Last year I was a bit embarrassed to admit my winnings were still just an unfinished top and determined to finish this one so that I could show it off at the next retreat - our 5th anniversary!
quilting detail

I call it Cave Painting because of all the cool designs of the batiks and the quilting design.  I used my walking foot to quilt a giant spiral starting from the center outwards.  I kept seeing this used on various blogs and wanted to try it myself - this top was the perfect fit.  I liked the idea of using the spiral to mimic the blocks, but have it create interest by being round instead of square.  I enjoyed the process, but don't think I'd do this type of quilting on a larger quilt - too much turning and asking am I done yet?
quilting detail with backing

Stats: 
Finished Size: roughly 47" x 47"
Machine Pieced and quilted by me 
Quilting: giant spiral using the walking foot & guide bar
Backing: a brown print from Moda's 108" wide I picked up from the remnant bin at Hancock's
Binding: purpley Batik print from my stash


So there you have it readers - 2 finishes this past Quarter and getting my line-up for Quarter 3 ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment