Saturday, April 9, 2011

Weekly Tidbits


Last weekend I got my cable installed so now I once again have TV channels.  It was kind of strange after the last 6 months to turn the TV on and have actual shows pop-up.  First thing I managed to catch the last half hour or so of the Tour of Flanders, and then spent some time figuring out which channels went with which station.  Sadly, I've discovered that Jeopardy! is on at 4:30 here so I can't watch it- I ask the TV stations, why would you do that?! 

Monday, we had some severe wind alerts and then a tornado warning in the morning.  The warning sirens went off and we followed protocol by herding everyone into one of our interior classrooms.  There was a meeting going on so that made it pretty interesting, but the kept going with their agenda and we waited out the sirens.  It sounded like the tornado touched down about 30 miles from us, so we're glad we followed our emergency plans <- it even made it into the newspaper that we did what we were supposed to. Go team. The rest of the week has been very spring-like and has even reached upwards of 85 today, gorgeous.

I spent some time working on one of my 'secret' quilt projects as well and am thrilled about how it's coming along.  I made my first bias binding using several blog instructions to help me figure out how to make it continuous.  It turned out perfectly and from a little over a 1/2 yard of fabric I got 8 yards of binding!  I also picked up some thread so I can continue to work on the next project.

I had Junior Quilters (our young kids (10-17) quilt group) too, which is always fun for a Tuesday afternoon.  There are several different projects going on as some kids are finishing up their quilts from last year, some are finishing up their journal covers & a few have completed their journal covers.  It's hard to keep track of what's going on each month! This month, we put everything else on hold and worked on the Just One Star project from Moda fabrics.
Photobucket<---I first spotted here it on the blog I follow & was intrigued with what Moda was doing for Quilts of Valor.






one star from KY

I knew I wanted to make a star block to contribute because my grandfather was a Marine and it is a great way to help others. Once I made my block, I hunted up the appropriate colors at work to use with our Junior Quilters and we got another 5-7 stars made.  It was a perfect way to do a small group project that benefits others, gets the kids involved in a larger project and give something back to Moda who sponsors our School Block Challenge each year. A win-win!  If you're looking for a quick sewing project in the next couple of weeks - this is it!  Head over to Moda's blog & get stitching on Just One Star!

No comments:

Post a Comment