Thursday, January 6, 2011

2011 Jump Start

Happy New Year dear readers!

This was the first year in a while that I had to work a couple days between Christmas & New Years' instead of having days off, but it wasn't too bad.  It gave me a couple days to organize and work on some upcoming projects without being rushed or interrupted.  It also made having New Years' Eve day off and the 3-day weekend extra nice!  It was like a little mini-vacation before everything got crazy again at work.  

new year pancakes
With friends being out of town and trouble with my car I didn't go anywhere special to ring in 2011 - just stayed in and had a little celebration all for me. Talked with friends as they time traveled into 2011 an hour before I did and once it reached Central Time let loose some confetti poppers as is tradition.  I hope my neighbors weren't asleep because they were really loud and echo-y in the apartment!  :oD  
The rest of the weekend was nice to have time to read and catch up on organizing and de-cluttering some of the misc. piles of stuff that accumulate. Also, watched the Winter Classic hockey game with L&N - what a game!  Lots of good hockey and the Caps beat those pesky Penguins so it was pretty fantastic.

pretty flowers for 2011

This week has been go - go - go at work and home and in between so I'll give you the almost- short version.
Monday I took my car in because it's been having trouble shifting and discovered that Toyota had a voluntary recall for a faulty part in my car.  Good news is that I did the background researching with dad to figure it out and so Toyota gets to pick up the tab on that one.  Hooray! 
Tuesday found me prepping for Junior Quilt Club as we started a new project and gained a couple members.  It's the first meeting where I was officially in charge, as I'd been assisting with the club since I started.  We're making patchwork journal covers and they are all excited and enjoy the project so far.  It'll take a couple meetings which is good for me because it gives me some time to plan what will come next.
Wednesday we had a tour guide luncheon and meeting to start off training and info sessions we'd like to provide the guides.  Then I pinned 129 blocks onto the wall so that we could have our School Block Challenge judging.  Phew!  They took up 2 whole classrooms and part of a third when I was finished and looked superb.  I'm glad I didn't have to judge because we got really creative and awesome blocks from kids across the country.
Today, I had a little breathing room to start thinking (and panicking) about upcoming workshops, papers to process, people to contact, ribbons to order, data to gather, etc. etc. etc.  I was able to check one big thing off the list which is the activity I'm doing for 2nd Saturday this week.  I've planned to make snowman pins and had the pieces laid out on the worktable in my head but had not gotten a chance to physically make a sample until this afternoon.  At least it wasn't completely last minute!  I'm pleased that it worked out the way I wanted and so am now all set for Saturday.

Anyone else tired yet?  ;o) This has been a jam-packed week and I'm looking forward to having some down time this weekend to work on my things.  I'm a bit behind on phone calls and letters to people so maybe some of that can be worked in for the weekend.

Anyways, here's to a brand new year to fill with adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment