Saturday, November 23, 2019

Because You're Leaf-ing

That's the clever title L came up with for this special quilt. :D

It's for H, a coworker who was leaving, so of course I had to make her a mini quilt!

We always end up talking about food, books, craft things, etc. and I'll definitely miss seeing her down the hall. So when it came to a quilt, I had several directions to go. I landed with these cute little plants hanging out on some shelves that fit her style & interests.



The pots are made with leftover labels from some work projects that H & I worked on, so I knew they had to be incorporated somehow! They make it unique and personal too. I used some images online as a starting point, but drafted my own paper pieced plant patterns which turned out super well. I used up all I had of the yellow (every bit!) and just love the bright pop it lends the quilt. The binding was chosen to 'match' the museum blue in the labels. I completely forgot how much H loves polka dots, so it was a an doubley good choice of fabric. Win-win on that one!
 

I outlined the pots, added definition to the shelves, and then free motion stippled throughout the yellow background. There are even 2 bumblebees in here, as a fun extra.

Here's H & I with her quilt! And H & staff too. She loved it and already had the perfect spot to hang it so we know it was appreciated right from the start. I got all the staff members to sign the back, because it ultimately is a going-away gift from all of us.




No comments:

Post a Comment