Thursday, May 2, 2019

Watch Me Soar

What happens when a coworker is pregnant and you work at a Quilt Museum? 
You have the whole staff help make a baby quilt of course!


This is the third staff member baby quilt we've made over the past 5 years and like the others before it, was a lot of fun to pull together! H&J, the parents, chose a space theme for the nursery (a popular choice) so we went space themed on the quilt. I went into stealth mode & pulled other staff members down the hall so that everyone was involved. Each person chose a fabric for their planet and I showed them how to use the Olfa circle cutter to cut out their planets - what fun!

 Planets were fused onto this starry fabric to create our own little galaxy for baby boy L. It was fun to see the creativity from my coworkers - making rings, moons, comets, & detailed planetary positions. Once all the planets were in place, I pieced together the backing with some scraps leftover of space, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Star Trek fabrics and this colorful space ship fabric. How else does one travel from planet to planet?


I machine stitched around each planet to secure it, add quilting & durability in anticipation of multiple washings to come. Using glow in the dark thread I quilted in some stars, a bumblebee, and a UFO, before using matching black thread to quilt swirls in the background. It's machine bound with a star print and then I got all the staff members to sign the label on the back.

It's named "Watch Me Soar" which is from a quote from the TV show Firefly " I am a leaf on the wind, watch me soar." This was gifted to H a few weeks ago. So love it well baby L & reach for those stars!
Linked up with: My Quilt Infatuation's Needle & Thread Thursday & Confessions of a Fabric Addict's Woop Woop Finished Friday and From Bolt to Beauty Finally A Finish.

1 comment: