Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Hanging Out Sloth Style

Sweet friend M asked me to make baby quilts for her soon-to-be twin nieces and of course I said yes! You know, readers, that I love to make baby quilts. 

She asked for sloths, because her sister loves them, and when I showed her this pattern by Elizabeth Hartman, M was all in. We talked colors (no pink, something soft) and then I went to my favorite fabric shop (Hancock's of Paducah) to hunt up some sloth-appropriate fabrics.
signature bee spotted!
I made one block for each quilt and extended the tree trunk taller to fill the space better.  Added background fabric to make the quilt size a bit larger too.




I've heard that these patterns can be time consuming to make, and while there are lots of little pieces for the faces, it stitched up really smoothly! I spent a night cutting allll the pieces for both quilts, and then took another day or so to piece the tops. So worth it!







I also mirror imaged one of them so they face in opposite directions, because twins- same, but different! That's why there are two different background colors. The backings are the same fabric - a wintry tree print with the absolute right colors - and I bound them in the opposite background fabric for an extra pop.

Snooze I
Snooze II


Quilting these was extra fun!  I free motioned the sloths fur-like spikes, wood grain in the trees and leaves in the background - all in coordinating Aurifil threads. Hoping M loves them, and that her sister and new nieces love them well!



Linking up with Studio Sew of Course for the 2018 Quarter 4 Finish A Long. Original Q4 post is here.

2 comments:

  1. So cute! I was looking at calendars today (waiting for half price, don't you know!) and saw a Sloth Yoga calendar. It featured a different pose for each month, almost as cute as your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable quilts! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2018 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete